Thursday, July 15, 2010

Greetings from the steamy mid-west!

Ruthie Holiday here, and from today forward I shall be posting not only pictures, but any videos, links and general information from yesteryear. I’m terribly enamored with hair, fashion and the lifestyle of the 1940’s and 1950’s. I work full-time, (part of the reason I started this blog was to have something to keep me sane at work), but I will do my damndest to post more than once every three months. If you have any questions or suggestions for posts, please feel free to email me and I will dutifully see to it!

As I noted in the title of this post, it is disgustingly hot and humid here in Missouri, and taking some inspiration from another blog I just love (check out www.diaryofavintagegirl.com) I attempted a few different up-do’s recently. I have really long black hair, which is in desperate need of a trim. I tried to wear some pretty basic 1940’s curls for most of this week, (I’ll have pictures of those a little later on) but much to my chagrin, the humidity destroyed them by five o’clock. It was really discouraging too because I was so proud of how they initially turned out. That’s the way she goes I guess.

So here is a break down of the first style I tried. The original steps of this styles can be found in this amazing book, Vintage Hairstyling: Retro Styles with Step-by-Step Techniques. If you don’t have this book, I highly recommend you pick it up. It has everything from pin curls, to finger waves and victory rolls. It also has make-up and even tips on 30’s and 40’s nail styles. I’ll be doing a post on the half-moon nail coming up soon!

*WARNING* This is my first tutorial ever. I know I should have more pictures, especially towards the end, but I was short on time. Next time will be better!

This style was pretty easy as it just involves a basic curl set, three ponytails and a bit of creativity styling the back. Because I was doing this before work, my time limit was a bit cramped and I had to rush through the curling of the back portion of hair. Instead of curling all of my hair, I separated the front section and only curled the back. If you’re able to roll victory rolls without having to curl your hair first, you can do it this way also. Of course, because of my length and the fact that I’m also in the process of growing out my bangs, it didn’t look exactly like the book but I was still rather happy with it and will add it into my repituar.

“For the Boys”- Step 1: Curl
As I noted earlier, I only curled the bangs and then the back.


I used a smaller curling iron for this portion to get tighter curls. You can also pin-curl this portion the night before and it has even better results. I did some curls rolling forward and some rolling back for variation. Let them set.

Eventually, you'll have a small pile of curls like this...


Step 2: The Rolls
As I mentioned earlier, since I don't have to curl my hair to get victory rolls, I just separated the sections I would need and rolled them first. To do this, grab your portion of hair, bring it out to the side and slightly up (combing as you go to keep it smooth), wrap the end around your index and middle finger to secure a hole (the size depends on your preferences) pinching the hair to maintain that curl, roll the curl into the hair until you reach the scalp, bobby pin from the back first until the roll is exactly how you want it, then pin from the front and douse with hairspray! You can also do rolls with a little bit of backcombing, but that will be a later post! I sincerely apologize for my lack of pictures in this post, like I said, I was in a bit of a hurry and this is my first tutorial.


The lighting in my bathroom is pretty piss poor, hopefully you can still see what's going on here. You'll repeat the roll on the opposite side, then spray!

Step 3-Curl the back!
I just use a larger curling iron to do the back, then I set the curls with alligator clips to let the curls cool.



Step 4: Back to the bangs
Take a small-tooth comb or your fingers, and just lightly brush the curls up, just to break them up and give them some space. It's your preference as to how fluffy you want them. I adjust the brightness and contrast to hopefully it's easier to see.



Step 5: Ponytails
Try and let the curls set as long as possible, the longer the better. I could only let mine rest for about twenty minutes or so. Usually, it's between forty-five minutes to an hour if possible.
Once you let them down, you've already got a great vintage hair style. You could easily spray and go at this point!

(I don't know why I look so angry in this picture! haha)

Making three different sections, tie them into ponytails with the smaller pony tail holders.


You will then twist the ponytail to the point where it will almost colapse into itself, forming a small bun. Pin the bun, but do not twist all of the hair up. You will have the bun pinned and the ends of the hair still hanging. You'll do this on the other two sections.

Once you get here, just pin the curls up wherever you desire them and then spray.



Of course you can play with this look and really make it your own.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com